When purchasing farm produce at your local grocery store do you ask the vendor where they source their food? At the back of your mind does it bother you that what you are consuming is safe(chemical free) or not? Do you know if your local area you have access to organic farms and organic markets?
Some of this question can linger in your mind time to time and sometimes you may not have a solution or maybe due to limited time from your busy day to day life you may not be in a position to have a access to this information. But don’t worry, if you find that you have some spare time you can use the internet and use search engines like Access Agriculture (https://www.accessagriculture.org/) and Infonet biovision (https://infonet-biovision.org/) where you will get information and real life farmer experience from farmers in Agroecology.
Currently we have more consumers in need of Organic food but limited access to organic markets , restaurants and shops to sustain the consumption of consumers. in various parts of the country you can now have access to organic food through farmers marker including:
- Ngong Organic Farmers Market- Open every Friday from 9am-1pm at Kiserian, opposite Enkang Resturant and a shop that serves a variety of value addition product open every day and I-NOGOF Farmers Market every Saturday from 8am-1pm courtesy of CSHEP.
- Mlango Farm locate at Ngecha.
- Kikuyu Organic Farmers market. Open every Wednesday and Friday from 9am-1pm at Mugumo Park Resturant kikuyu and shop that also serves a variety of value addition products open from Monday-Saturday from 9am-5pm.
- Sylvia Basket operates at soko safi mall ngong road.
- Slow food Earth Markets at Nakuru and Kagio Market, Kirinyaga(Every 2nd and last Thursday of the month).
- Kangari Organic Farmers Market (KOFM) in muranga
- Githumo Organic Farmers Market(GOFM) in muranga
- Kirinyaga Organic Farmers market.
- Resturants include: Bridges Organic Resturant.
…..Among others that i have not mentioned play a key role in ensuring that consumers have access to chemical free farm produce. Make a point to visit an organic farm and market near your area.